Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Falcon Throne - Karen Miller



So, this book was very very good. I sadly wasn't able to read this book as fast as I would have preferred. This was mainly due to the fact that I have been battling off being sick and it left me unable to really do anything after working all day. But that is besides the point. I believe that this book is a really nice beginning to what could be a good rival to the Song of Fire and Ice series. I don't want to spend this whole review comparing it, but I think one thing that is pretty neat is the smaller scale of things; meaning less characters to deal with and a smaller area to get familiar with. And that is enough of that.

What I found extremely intriguing was the theme that there is someone out there that is trying to alter events to an outcome that we do not realize totally at this point. And of course there is quite a bit of death of people you want to die and people who you don't want to die. I really do not want to say anything, but there were a couple of things I was really upset about happening. I think that Balfre is a very good bad guy, in the sense that he does quite a few of bad things but he is intelligent about it. Personality-wise he reminds me of Joffrey but with quite a bit more brains.

To continue with the speculation, it is going to be interesting to find out why Roric, Balfre, Liam and Casinia (I think I spelled her name wrong but I don't have my book in front of me) are important to Salimbene. And because they all come from the same area of the world what effect they are going to have on the rest of the world. And I firmly believe this is going to have a greater effect then it looks at first glance. This is mainly because I really love this author and I want this book to be on a very nice scale of epicness. I definitely am very upset that I have to wait for the next book to come out, however, I am looking forward to reading this book again when it does come out.

There was also a fair share of moments when I wanted to take the characters that I initially started to like and shake some sense into them when I could just see how the bad things were going to go, or when they were stupid. Which is a good sign to me because it shows me that I am getting attached to the characters.

The book in my opinion leaves off with everything starting to get darker for the majority of characters, and with the possibility of some hopeful things coming true. There was also a nice dash of irony that I am hopeful plays out with a more positive ending. And then the grand mystery of whether or not what Salimbene wants is good, bad, neutral or dreadful. Is the Oracle something that will have the great ramifications the I envision happening? I am upset that I have to wait!

Let me know if any of you have read and what you think might happen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment