Sunday, November 2, 2014

Glass Series - Maria V. Snyder

                            
It happened again...It came down to the thought process of: "gee, I should probably write the post for the first book...but in that time I could instead read some of the second..." and it all went downhill from there. I had honestly forgotten how much I enjoyed the Glass Series. The main character, Opal, was a character that showed up in the Study series. So it was really enjoyable to know where she started off and to see how she was affected by the events in Fire Study.

Opal definitely has the same sort of spunk that Avry and Elena do;  but you can definitely see that hers starts off as subdued and she has to deal with the damage that was done to her when she was kidnapped but also with the feelings of guilt for pricking Yelena with the curare. I believe out of the three of them though, Opal definitely seemed to make the most change from start to end in the series. She also had to deal with the situation of losing her magic, and not know exactly what her life should entail. Her struggle to sort of deal with who she is as a person now.

It was extremely surprising to see that the people who helped her the most with finding her place were Valek and even more surprisingly Devlen (the man who had tortured her). It was a twist that I never really saw coming. When I first read the book I was all with her in the not trusting department when he tried to tell her he was reformed. But to also then realize that he really has changed from that monster and then growing to really like him as a character. For me, Devlen once he was good reminded me a bit of Valek, especially with what he was able to do with the self image Opal (or in Valek's case Yelena) had of herself.

It was also great during this series to get a nice healthy dose of seeing Valek, Yelena, Janco and Ari. This series also made me really dislike the Council.

One thing I can say though is that so far I have not been at all disappointed in any of her books. I do however feel that her Glass and Study series were the best ones so far, which is part of the reason I am extremely excited for her to return to the Study series. I particularly want to see Opal and Devlin make an appearance hopefully, definitely keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment