Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Unimaginable - Dina Silver


 

The Unimaginable was the book that I chose for the Amazon Prime early book pick. Like I have said before in other reviews for books from this opportunity offered, I am going to try and pick books that I do not think I would enjoy to force myself to broaden my reading repertoire...and because I feel like it might make me look like a more fair blogger if I do come out with bad reviews. Now...with that being said, I was pleasantly surprised with this one, but also a little disappointed. It is more along the lines of a 75/25 (good/bad).

Now I believe we should start with the good news. The book was well written, and the side characters were definitely a hoot. Quinn, Sophia, and Niran I just could not get enough of. The story itself had me laughing, enjoying the ride, getting a little hot and bothered, being very upset, crying, back to being okay, a little upset, and back to enjoying the ride with pleasant feelings. Definitely had me on a little bit of a rollercoaster, which is something that I appreciate in a book.
I was not disappointed in the character of the love interest Grant, and the main character Jessica actually was a good character. I do not really believe I disliked her at any point and she was believable. She is capable of being brave, understanding, she struggles with her own past issues she is working through, and she broke down when any other person would have. I think that is what makes her such a wonderful character for the story being told, she is an 'average' person in a sense. Which made it really touching that in the darkest point in the book she actually was able to come to terms with the relationship with her mother, and that scene was very heartfelt. I will probably show myself as being a nerd or geek at this point, but it reminded me of what Aang said to Korra in The Legend of Korra when she lost her bending; which goes something along the lines of - when we are at our lowest point we are open to the greatest amount of change. Jessica in this book pretty much had accepted that her mom never loved her, and they never had a good relationship, but when the pirates were on the ship and the circumstances caused her to hallucinate (or her mom's spirit came to see her, either one) opened her eyes to some things about their relationship.

Grant is wonderful. For some reason I definitely pictured Grant has being similar in looks to either Hugh Grant or Colin Firth; very attractive. He is a 38-40 year old man in this book, which also gave the romance a nice spin to it. He is a well lived older man, she is a younger woman who finally found herself on the path she wants to journey life through. He is also dealing with his own past issues, which I will not talk about so I don't ruin too much of the story before you read it. There was also a time where I just wanted to slap him across the face for being an idiot, but you can't help but forgive him because of what he has been through and what he is feeling guilty about.

I really enjoyed the ending, which did the same thing Playing it Safe by Barbie Bohrman, where the final chapter is from the point of view from the man. It was really nice and refreshing.

There was a few kisses, and a total of two sex scenes. From the description I was expecting a bit more, but that was not what disappointed me in this book. It was nice to expect it to be a little smutty and having the scenes be very well done. And I felt like it was a good move, and a realistic one based off of how the story really is.

The one thing however that did disappoint me was that for some reason I felt like it would be a little deeper than what it actually was. There was some depth, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it could have been deeper. There was a little resonating, but not as much as I wanted. It was not on the same level as The Law of Dreams by Peter Behrens. That was really the only thing that disappointed me. On the other hand, when you read the end and it talks about where she got the idea for the book it really makes up for it. She based it off of real people and real events, which inspired her, and she decided to use those events as the plot for the story.

I would definitely recommend this book as being a very nice read. And please, if you read the book, make sure to read the very end which talks about all of the events that inspired the book.

On a very side note, I will probably be posting another The Way of Kings book post sometime this weekend or early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment