Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Books! and The Blood King by Gail Z. Martin



So this is going to be a two part post. To start things off...I was immensely happy to have received some money to go and buy some books. I managed to tone down my desire for more books by settling on only three. Two of them by Karen Miller. One of which is a newer one called the Falcon Throne which is going to be part of her Tarnished Crown series. This one really caught my eye because the description made it seem like it might be similar in idea to The Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin. Hopefully, it won't break my heart as much as his series did. Needless to say, I really can't wait to dive right into that book. The second book by her that I bought was Wizard Undercover from her Rogue Agent series. For some reason it was an oversight and I never got it to finish the series off...I really have no idea how that happened. In general Karen Miller's (a.k.a. K.E. Mills from some of her other books) are extremely enjoyable. They are those kinds of books that you forget how much you love them until you manage to wonder on over to them and pick them up again; and then you are upset that you forgot how much you loved the books. In general: it is good writing, each series has a very unique story (you do not feel like she is re-using anything), and the characters are very likeable with a notable exception. Hekat from her Godspeaker series....I just wanted to punch her in the face...more than once. So I guess you could say she makes very good bad guys too.

The third book I bought took some restraint...the series sounded very good and I nearly bought the whole box set of the three books in hardcover for $100...and then I made the difficult decision that I should not drop that much money on an author I don't know if I will like. So I settled with getting just the first book, even though I had that gut feeling I was going to need to run to the bookstore immediately upon completion to get the last two books. So without further ado! I bought A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. The only thing that made me hesitate was the inclusion of vampires. But, if everything else is awesome then it might make up for any clicheness that might happen. So please, if anyone of you have read the above three books, let me know if you liked them or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Blood King by Gail Z. Martin

the-blood-king largeNow the reason I included this in a post with something else is that there really is not much else to say about the second book in the series that wasn't said about the first. I love the characters, but the writing in general gets a little simplistic (in the sense where things seem to be glossed over and skipped where more detail would probably be more appropriate). However, something that is very interesting about this series up to this point is the very important idea that Tris needs to change the intent of which he plans on taking Jared and Arontala down. He cannot do it in the mode for revenge, because they killed his family, because if he did it this way he will die. But he must instead choose to take them down because of the harm they have done and they are going to essentially destroy everything. The difference between your emotions and the greater good. The ending did get a bit suspenseful, which is good. However, I feel like this book and partially the first one are overshadowed by the third and fourth books. I personally liked the third book much more than the first two; but I still recommend reading them because they are worth the buildup for the remaining two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment