Friday, March 13, 2015

Shadow Study - Maria V. Snyder



I was extremely happy when my sister got me this book for my birthday, and I am not going to lie that I squealed with happiness when I got it in the mail. I have been looking forward to reading this book ever since I found out about it and got the countdown on this page.

To start things off it was great to re-visit the wonderful characters of Ari, Janco, Yelena, and Valek. It was also a really nice treat to see more about how Valek got started, met The Commander, and assassinated the king. What was not very nice is seeing how the the relationship between Valek and the Commander got strained after the events of Spy Glass and Fire Study. I was definitely not disappointed, especially with the revelation moment of what is causing a lot of the problems in Ixia, and it being something a little closer to home.

This book has also reaffirmed the idea that Sitia REALLY should get rid of that silly council. They seem to do more paranoid harm than good, keeping information away and making things more difficult on the people who are actually trying to help. Like Yelena and Opal, that council needs to just give them the help they need to accomplish the things they need to do to save everyone. But...then again that would be way too easy and would not make all the people behind the scenes any money. However, that is something I have felt very strongly ever since Magic Study and all the way into Spy Glass.

I am not going to lie however, in that one of my favorite parts in the whole book is meeting the spirit of Moon Man's father. THAT was something I did not expect, but it was also something that just made me so sad that Moon Man is gone.

This book is extremely hard to review now that I look at my past ramblings. The issue is that because I absolutely love this book I do not want to spoil anything for anyone, and the whole feeling of having an idea dawn on you would be ruined if I revealed a few things. But the one topic I can touch on that won't ruin anything is that I am looking forward to finding out a lot more about Yelena's Soulfinder abilities. Other than that is the title for this series, but since no one knows much about those abilities to begin with, it should be very interesting to see how Yelena goes about getting her powers back. And what exactly she has to do to get them back. I also want to know the real reason behind what caused the loss of the powers, towards the end we have a few ideas about why she doesn't have them but we do not know 100%. There are a couple things that are more certain than others, but I have a feeling that the second book (which cannot come fast enough) is going to be full of revelations left, right and center that my head is going to be spinning.

And one things, the reveal at the very end of the book...I did not see that coming! I am happy that it happened, I always wondered about the potential. But it also does a very good job of showing that the character is human, fallible, and you just can't pay attention to everything while you are trying to chase after the bad guys and to save yourself. Maria V. Snyder, I really really hope that you keep finding a reason to continue with Yelana and Opal's stories. There is just something about those characters and that world that keep me coming back. I am also interested in seeing where their world is going, and what is going to happen when the Commander dies (because really...he is not going to live forever).

To end things...I was very happy with the book, I am upset I have to wait who knows how long for the next one. I will hopefully have a counter up for that book release also. And if you read the Study series you HAVE to read this. If you have not...you NEED to read the Study series before this. Well...I think you could read this and have a vague understanding of what is going on,  but to truly appreciate the gravity of a lot of the situations that are going on you should really read the Study and Glass series.

Have you devoured the book yet? What did you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment